Friday, December 16, 2011

Yep.. I satisfied my ice cream craving!!

Hi There ~
I've been very lazy the last couple days and haven't had a workout, so tonight when I got a BAD ice cream craving (and knew I hadn't earned it) I remembered a recipe that I've been wanting to try that I first saw awhile back on a post by Jamie Eason on her FB page. Then I saw it in this months issue of www.oxygenmag.com. I love this magazine for the recipes but it also has weight lifting advice. But I find it's geared more for fitness competitions in my opinion, I could be very wrong!!

Here ya go!!

~ 5 min Almond milk Ice cream ~

1 cup almond milk
1 scoop choc protein powder
1/2 capful of coconut extract
1/2 cup table salt.. the cheap kind
1 sm sandwich ziplock bag
1 gallon size ziplock bag
Ice
Revised version.. Add 1 scoop Vegan Choc Shakelology instead of choc protein powder
Now take your almond milk and put in a bowl, then add in your protein powder and coconut extract whisk until the protein is incorporated into the almond milk. pour this mixture into the sandwich ziplock bag. Then fill up the gallon ziplock about 1/2 way with ice. I have a handy ice maker in my freezer so I pretty much have an endless supply of Ice.. but if you don't you might have to plan a bit in advance.. then pour the 1/2 cup of regular table salt onto the ice in the gallon ziplock bag.

Then making sure you have a tight seal on your sandwich bag with your liquid inside, put that bag into the gallon ziplock. Seal up the gallon ziplock and start shaking away.. I'd say shake your bag for 3-5 mins depending on how solid you want your ice cream. I recommend using an oven mitt while doing this because the ice gets REALLY cold.. this is how they used to make ice cream with salt and ice.. so be careful. and it's also a great arm workout. I shook my bag for about 3 mins.

this was so good.. I didn't eat the whole bowl. I put some in my freezer for my next craving!!

The possiblities are endless.... I'm already thinking about adding in some espresso powder to my next batch and then making a batch w/ greek yogurt and some peanut butter added in. Choc/peanut butter is one of my favorite flavors. If your not a choc lover than use vanilla protein or leave it out all together. Add in some peppermint extract instead or use both.. so many choices..

The 1 cup of almond milk is 60 calories and the 1 scoop of whey protein is 65 calories
This is by far the better "ice cream" option.

I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. I can't wait to hear how you made your almond milk ice cream!

Bye oxox
Sherice

No comments: