Sunday, May 6, 2012

Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Biscuits

Hey!

How are you? I hope all is well.

Sundays are our usual breakfast day around Potter Palace. I usually make Eggs Benedict Sherice's way http://foodieluvsfitness.blogspot.com/2012/03/breakfast-for-dinner-eggs-benny-sherice.html or Egg's, Bacon and hashbrowns. One thing I HATE is making bacon. It's splatters, spits and hurts me. Makes a yucky mess all over my clothes and everything else. So my sister said to me "why don't you make it in the oven?" I thought "what a great idea." So today when I made breakfast that's exactly what I did. It was so easy, I don't think I will ever make bacon on the stove top again. Here's what you do.....

Line you pan with aluminum foil. Lay out your bacon, I always cut my in half. Why? I don't really know. Put your pan in a cold oven. Turn oven on to 400 degrees and cook for about 15-20 mins. Cooking time depends on how thick your bacon is. I found that I flipped mine when it was just about done because by the time the top was done the bottom would have been to done. But my bacon was pretty thin too.


whalaaaa! Just the way we like it without all the mess!

A couple weeks ago I bought some Newman's Own Dog Biscuits that I felt good about feeding to the boys. 


But at 7 bucks a bag @ 10 oz between 2 dogs. These didn't go far.  I decided to make my own. I have a bone cookie cutter kit with 3 sizes in it that I'd gotten like a yr ago and had never used. So I thought I should probably make use of them. I remember reading that pumpkin is safe for dogs and helps ease an upset tummy, and I know that Peanut Butter is something that most dogs love and is also safe. I looked online and saw a few different recipes. I kinda mixed and matched and came up with this one.

 I happened to have all the ingredients on hand but next time I will make sure that I use organic ingredients and I will use only oat flour. I didn't have enough and that's why I used part whole wheat flour. I don't feel that they need the gluten in the wheat flour. My dogs are ok with it but they don't need it and I know that a lot of dogs have allergies to gluten.
After I made these I realized I should have just taken some of the oats and made more oat flour. After all, I just bought a Magic Bullet.
But it was an after thought like I said. So next time I make these I will totally omit the whole wheat flour.

1 cup canned organic pumpkin. NOT pumpkin pie filling, just canned pumpkin
3-3 1/2 cups oat flour - I just used organic oats in my magic bullet until fine like flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup oats - for texture
3 Tbls peanut butter
1 tsp cinnamon


Pumpkin benefits for dogs are.. helps ease upset stomach, helps with Diarrhea
Peanut butter....It's high in protein and the natural oils help with a shiny coat
Cinnamon....is an antifungal, antimicrobial and antibacterial and has much of the health benefits for dogs as it does humans but give in moderation. if itchy or rashes appear your dog may have an allergy to cinnamon but it's not very common.
eggs...perfectly fine for dogs as long as they are cooked. raw eggs block the absorption of Biotin
Oats.... are a good source of soluble fiber even for dogs


preheat oven to 350 degrees, Then whisk pumpkin, eggs, peanut butter and cinnamon together until mixed. Then add in flour and oats. I did all this by hand. When it got to hard to mix, I then emptied the dough onto the counter and kneaded it. It was a little sticky so I added a bit more oat flour until it was no longer sticky. I kneaded the dough a couple times and then made a nice round out of it.. as if you were making pastry for pie crust, same concept. Then I rolled out the dough to about 1/2 in thickness.



 Then I started cutting away!!
 I used my medium sized cutter and my small sized cutter.

For the Med size cook for 40 min flipping them over after 30 mins

For the Sm size cook for 30 mins flipping them over after 20 mins







These are the small size.. and 1 little heart :)

Here is the comparison between the med and the small! They share a med size but the small size is perfect for them!

Marley and Luka Both told me they were "PAWsome" LOL

Marley, sitting pretty hoping to get seconds :)


Luka gobbling up his!


This recipe made 40 med size treats and 54 small size treats. And 1 heart :)

let me know what your K-9 kids think of these treats!
Mine sure do love them!





oxox Sherice



No comments: