Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pasta? Think again!

Hey There ~

Things around here have been pretty quite. I'm excited to be putting some plants into my garden this weekend. When Mother's day rolls around you know it's safe to start planting. You don't want to any sooner for fear of frost. So I will be putting in some plants this weekend.. I've got some seeds also but I've been waiting due to lack of a fence across our garden area. We have a little puppy who likes to dig and run around in the raised beds so we will need to be putting up some fencing to keep him OUT unless he's invited in :)

 Last night I had a delicious dinner!

Spaghetti Squash with Quinoa "meat" balls and a little red sauce I made.

Sherice's simple red sauce ~ This is a super quick easy sauce I make when I don't have any spaghetti sauce in the freezer or I want a lighter sauce.

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1-2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 lrg onion minced or 1 sm onion minced
handful of crimini mushrooms minced
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
fresh chopped basil

Saute onions and mushrooms for 5-7 mins add in salt and pepper stir, add in garlic saute 1-2 mins, add in tomatoes and red pepper flakes. simmer for 10-15 mins. add in basil or sprinkle directly onto whatever it is your eating!  Enjoy!

Here's the video on how to make the squash and "meat" balls..

These meatballs were so delicious you've got to try them. I was thinking that the next time I make them I might mix it up a bit and add in some grated zucchini and some fresh basil.. just to give them a bit more flavor and to kick up the veggie content.. or even adding in some diced eggplant would be great. Go nuts!! That's the best part of cooking.. tweaking a recipe to suit your palate!

I also made Kale chips for the first time this week.. oh they were crispy and spicy.. just what I like!
I made 2 batches.. the first batch was my favorite but the second was good also!


All Hail Kale ~
preheat oven to 350 for 11- 14 mins keep a good eye on these, they go from not quite done to burnt in no time at all
I cheated and got a bag of organic kale already cut at Trader Joe's just because I could :) 
I split the bag into 2 batches..

#1 batch
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/4 tsp Chipotle powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
good sprinkle of sea salt

#2 batch
1 Tblp EVOO
1/4 tsp chili powder
sprinkle red chili flakes
1/4 tsp cumin
good sprinkle sea salt

I made the mistake of thinking they were cooled and put them into a ziplock bag. The next day they were chewy instead of crispy, still good but not what your going for!

I haven't worked out this week due to a bruised knee.. I took a couple days off at work to let it rest and heal. Being on your hands and knees washing floors isn't going make the healing any faster ya know. So I will have a workout posted for you this weekend. 

I'm really going to try to get more blogs posted. I'm thinking maybe 3-4 a week. I want my blog to grow and get some more hits and followers so I need to be spending more time at it and start being a lot more consistent. I find that the only time I really blog is when I've got a recipe or workout to share, but I'm finding that on the blogs I follow and really enjoy, they blog about their day to day lives and what they've eaten that day or their workouts. So I will try not to totally bore you to death. I'm really NOT that exciting but I will try to blog more! 

OX Sherice


No comments: