Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Healthy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies :)

Hi ~

I've been watching some great videos on Tara Stiles youtube channel and come across this recipe. It originally came from a blog called 101 cookbooks, http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/nikkis-healthy-cookies-recipe.html.

These cookies are really good!! They can be eaten as a snack, dessert or even a breakfast cookie.. I'm going to use the base and switch up some chip flavors and see what happens. I'm thinking Peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips or chunks would be wonderful!
 I always have Bananas in my freezer. That's were they go when they get spotted and brown. They add the perfect amount of sweetness and keep the cookies nice and moist. Along with the Coconut and almond meal, They have a wonderful nutty banana chocolate flavor. In Sherice fashion I added another ingredient.. Flax seed meal.

I will be enjoying a few of these with my morning coffee and some fruit tomorrow... how will you eat yours?



Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate chip Cookies

3 bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup warmed coconut oil
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup almond meal.. ground up almonds, I did this using my coffee grinder. I'm pretty sure Bob's Redmill brand sells almond meal
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, again Bob's Redmill has an organic unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbls Flax seed meal 
6-7 oz dark chocolate bar chopped or chips

Mix first 3 ingredients in a bowl.  In separate bowl combine next 6 ingredients, mix well. add the dry into the wet and mix together. Then stir in the chocolate. put spoonfuls or you can use a small ice cream scooper, that's what I use. Then bake on parchment lined baking sheet or baking stone for 10 -14 mins.
Nutritional info on these delicious little cookies.. they are about 1-2 bites..
1 cookie
calories 70
fat 1.7 g
carbs 7.7 g
sugar 1.2 g


For Dinner I made a favorite standby at our house. Quick and easy Chicken Enchiladas. This is probably not the healthiest, figure friendly recipe but it could be worse.

1 can 99% fat free cream of chicken soup. I use a small mesh strainer and I use a spatula to strain the yucky fake chicken pcs out of the soup
1 can Rotel
tortillas corn or flour. corn would be healthier
1/2 cup lite sour cream
2 chicken breasts cubed or shredded. a couple times a month I will cook 6-7 organic chicken breasts in my crockpot with some chicken stock and then shredded them. so I have cooked shredded chicken breast in my freezer for quick meals. But I have also used rotisserie chicken breasts from the grocery store.
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Cheese.. I use chedder and pepperjack.
put everything together except cheese and tortillas.. 
spray a cassarole dish or a pan w/ cooking spray
layer tortillas, chicken mixture, and cheese until you reach the top of your dish. Then cover with foil and bake at 350 - 400 degrees until nice and bubbly, at that time take off foil and let top get brown and bubbly. 


Then top with whatever your heart desires! I like avocado, salsa, cilantro, black olives and tomatoes! DELICIOUS!! 

I did my workout today so I don't feel to guilty about having this for dinner. Did you do a workout today? If so, tell me about it :)

Here's my workout for today 1/18/12 
15 sec rest/40sec work/20 rds/4x thru = about 18 mins

1. side to side squats w/ 12lbs
10, 11, 10, 10

2. Push ups
13, 12, 10, 10

3. Diagonal Knee raises on dipstation
18, 15, 17, 17


4. overhead tricep extension w/12lb
15, 16, 15 17

5. Dbl Crunches
16, 18, 19, 20

Then I did this short, less than 10 min yoga routine by Tara Stiles. I need more breathing in my life. She says when you breath deeply your creating more space.. when your letting out the breath your creating space... I need more space. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnOoxwi9aE&feature=channel_video_title
Yoga looks really easy. Oh it's just stretching but wow doing it is another thing. I enjoy it! I just need to learn to breath through the moves. I find myself concentrating so hard on doing the stretches and holding them that I'm not breathing deep and evenly like I should be. If anyone has some advice on this, please leave a comment. Or leave a comment about whatever you'd like! :)

Sherice ox



No comments: