Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sloppy Joes Vegan style

 Hey lovelies 

I'm craving comfort food. It happens when it gets cold outside, at least to me! 
But I didn't want to use all my calories on rich Mac n cheese or lasagne! 

These bad boys HIT.THE.SPOT! 
Even my 20 yr old and 16 yr old loved them! In fact my 16 yr old said they are teenager approved 😀


There is just a hint of sweetness from the coconut sugar and a nice kick from the cayenne. 

These didn't last long and I think they will make another appearance very soon. 

Vegan soppy Joes 

2 1/2 cups cooked lentils 
1 carrot chopped 
1/2 red, orange or yellow pepper chopped
1 shallot chopped
1/2 head of fennel chopped 
1 onion chopped 
2 cloves garlic chopped
1Tbls chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 -1/2 tsp cayenne 
1-2 tsp mustard 
2 Tbls vegan Worcestershire 
3 Tbls tomato paste 
2 15oz cans tomato sauce 
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté veggies until soft, add in remaining ingredients and simmer until done! 
I usually end up adding more spices once I taste test it so feel free! 

The second day I had these they were even better, but I need a bit of a crunch so I added some purple cabbage. It was a great combo and the purple cabbage doesn't have a very strong flavor so it was a great option! 

Thinking next time I will make some blue cheese coleslaw to go with them. 
This is an amazing delicious recipe http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/05/blue-cheese-cole-slaw.html




No comments: