Last weekend got away from me so I do apologize for not posting Sunday.
BUT... Today I have a delicious protein packed plant based sandwich recipe.
I used to hate Chickpeas.. also know as Garbonzo beans.. But once you start to eat clean foods you will be surprised at how many things you like that you thought you didn't.. at least this is what I found happened to me.
There is 2.4 grams protein, 8 grams carbs and 46 calories in 1 Tbls of chickpeas
Some Health benefits of Chickpeas.
- Fiber Advantage and Weight Loss: Like other beans, Chickpeas, are rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Soluble fiber forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that snares bile (which contains cholesterol) and ferries it out of the body. Research studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders.
- Protein for Vegetarians: Chickpeas are a good source of protein. Combined with a whole grain such as whole-wheat protein, they provide amount of protein comparable to that of meat or dairy foods without the high calories or saturated fats.
- Manganese for Energy Production: Garbanzos are an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, which is an essential cofactor in a number of enzymes important in energy production and antioxidant defenses. Just one cup of garbanzo beans supplies 84.5% of the daily value for this mineral.
- Iron Boost: Garbanzos can boost your energy because of their high iron content. This is particularly important for menstruating women, pregnant or lactating women and growing children. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism.
- Stabilizing Blood Sugar and Low Glycemic Index (GI): Soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels. If you have insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, beans like garbanzos can help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy. They have low GI value of 28 – 32 means the carbohydrate in them is broken down and digested slowly. This is helpful for weight loss as it controls appetite.
- Heart Healthy: Regular intake of Chickpeas can lower LDL (bad) and total cholesterol. Garbanzos contain the significant amounts of folate and magnesium. Folate lowers the levels of the amino acid, homocysteine and strengthens the blood vessels. Studies have found chickpeas lower the risk of heart attack
- For Women: Garbanzo contain phytochemicals called saponins, which can act as antioxidants. It could lower the risk of breast cancer, protect against osteoporosis and minimizes hot flushes in post-menopausal women.
- Weight Loss: Due to high fiber content and low GI, chickpeas are excellent for weight loss diets. Salad with chickpeas are tasty and can keep you full longer, controlling the appetite.
- info source
Mock Tuna salad
This recipe is so easy.. I really don't have any measurements because I eyeballed everything..
about 1/3 -1/2 cup Soy Free Vegenaise, I just used a small spoon and it was about 4-5 spoons
can Organic Chickpeas rinsed
juice from 1/2 a Lemon
1/3 cup Onion chopped, I used a red one
1/3 cup Celery chopped
a handful of Italian parsley chopped
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tbls Dill Weed...
a squirt of Dijon Mustard, not pictured. It was an after thought once I was mixing..
First rinse and drain your chickpeas.. then I pulsed them in my food processor until desired consistency..
then I added in all the other ingredients and mixed by hand..
I used Organic whole wheat bread and didn't use any spread on the bread itself.. you won't need any.. the only thing that would have made this even better, would have been a juice ripe red tomato!
I don't eat a lot of sandwiches but this really hit the spot.. and no fish breath :)
give it a try and add what ever seasoning you like. Next time I think I will make it with a spicy kick