Sunday, February 14, 2016

CHEESY BBQ KALE CHIPS!

 
Cheesy bbq kale chips 

So I love me a good kale chip and I LOVED the Trader Joes African Smoke Spice... Sadly they discontinued it a long time ago 
But today browsing one of my fave sites... Pinterest I came upon a copycat African Smoked Spice recipe
http://planthungry.blogspot.com/2012/10/clone-recipe-trader-joes-south-african.html?m=1

I was sad when I realized I would need the one ingredient I didn't have on hand, hickory smoked salt.. But low and behold when I swung by the store i realized they have this little specialty salt section AND SCORE!! Hickory smoke salt was just begging me to take him home, which i did. 

Now i would usually make these with ground cashews but not having those and having a limited budget until Friday I skipped that step

I made the spice mix then ripped my 1 bunch of kale off the stems into bite size pcs and washed it.  Then pre heated my oven to 200 
I put the kale into a big bowl and drizzled it with extra virgin olive oil then used about 4 tsp of spice mix then used a spatula  to coat the kale. Then i sprinkled about a Tbsp of nutritional yeast on it and used a spatula to coat the kale  

Sprayed my 2 sheet pans with coconut oil and made a single layer with room to move so air can circulate around them

Cooked for 30 mins then flipped   Turned temp up to 220 and cooked another 30 mins! 

Crunchy and delicious

No comments: