Sunday, March 31, 2013

Vegan Lasagne

My Daughter....


Has been bugging me to make Lasagne... So I obliged her a couple of weekends ago. I made theirs.. Theirs being my husband, son and daughter.. 1/2 meat for the hubs and 1/2 cheese and spinach for my kiddos. But what was I to do being a new Vegan eater.. well I will tell ya..

I decided to make my own veggie lasagne. Unfortunately I only have 1 photo of a bite of this delicious creamy lasagne.


 I often times make things then think, "why didn't I take photos for the blog?" this was one of those times folks.. so sorry.. but I will totally share the recipe with you!

I know is doesn't look like much in this picture but YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT A TRY!!!

Vegan Veggie Lasagne

You'll need..
sauce of your choice ( I'd get 2 jars. you want to use the sauce liberally because you won't be cooking the lasagne noodles before layering them. The sauce will absorb and help them cook in the oven. Trust me.. I have never cooked my noodles before layering and baking any lasagne I've made. This is always how my mom did it)
1-2 Small Zucchini Shredded and squeezed
6-7 Sliced mushrooms
1/2 a brick of crumbled organic extra firm tofu.. if you get the stuff in water make sure that it has been  pressed between paper towels and is very dry.
Fresh baby spinach
lasagne noodles.. reg or whole wheat, your choice and like I said.. I've been vegan for about 2 mos. I do check ingredients and don't think the lasagne noodles had any animal products.. if I'm wrong kindly let me know what brand doesn't :)
Daiya Mozzarella shreds this makes the lasagne so creamy I couldn't believe it.
a little bit of Italian seasoning

This is how you assemble the lasagne....

I peeled and cut the ends of 1 small eggplant, then sliced it lengthwise in about 1/2 in slices then cut them in 1/2 to make for easier layering.. then I let them set between a couple paper towels to absorb the moisture, while I prepped the rest of my ingredients. 

I sauteed the mushrooms just a little to soften them and added in the crumbled tofu and a couple pinches of Italian seasoning and mixed it well, remove the mixture from the pan and add the eggplant into the pan just to brown a bit on each side. 

spray your baking dish with what ever spray you use.. then spread a layer of sauce, place your uncooked noodles in the pan, then layer the mushroom tofu mixture, some shredded and drain zucchini, a layer of eggplant, a layer of a couple handfuls of the fresh baby spinach and then a lite layer of Daiya Mozzarella. That's your first layer..

Next your gonna add another layer of uncooked noodles directly on top of the spinach layer then add a liberal layer of sauce. Then layer the rest of the ingredients as you did in the first layer.

Continue your layers like this until you've reached the top of your pan.. the last layer is going to be a layer of Mozzarella.

Cover with foil and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven. After about 30 mins check it.. when your fork goes in easily, with out any resistance from the noodles it's done.  You want to take off the foil when you've got about 15 mins of cooking time left to brown up the top or you can broil it for a few mins when it's done.

I had my sister and niece over for dinner that night who are non vegan and gave them a piece of my lasagne for leftovers the next day. They both said it was great. This is the text my niece sent me.


I hope that you will give this recipe a try.. it's so good. I shoveled it in like I was never going to eat again.. not gonna lie!! I will be making it again soon :)

So for now 

Sherice OXOXOX

No comments: