Monday, February 11, 2013

Red Lentil Dahl

Hey ~

Today's recipe is a warm, comforting, delicious vegan meal!

Red Lentil Dahl.. which is an Indian dish that my son and I love!

Red Lentil Dahl
This recipe makes enough for 4 people plus leftovers. You can always half the recipe or double it. What ever works for you and your family!

1 cup carrots diced however big or small you want them
1 large onion diced sm to med dice
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp salt or to taste
4 Tbls tomato paste
2 cups red lentils rinsed and picked over
8 cups vegetable broth
2 cups coconut milk
If you like cinnamon and cardamom you can add 1/2 tsp of those ea.  We don't like them in this dish so I omit them

saute onions, carrots in a little olive oil or coconut oil until onions are translucent. Add in garlic and saute for 1-2 mins. add in broth, lentils and seasonings. cover and simmer 20 mins or until lentils are tender. then add in the coconut milk.

If your vegan you can garnish with some soy sour cream or soy yogurt or coconut yogurt. If not Greek yogurt is good too.


I also made homemade Pitas to go with this and let me tell you, they were so easy and delicious to make I will NEVER again buy store bought pitas. It seems like every time I buy pitas I cut them in half and then try to fill them and they end up cracking and breaking all over the place.. WTH???

These didn't do that AT ALL!! I'm sold on homemade Pitas!!

Here is the recipe I used...Awesome homemade Pitas



I can't wait to make some Shwarma Tempeh to fill these Pitas.


Next time I make these I will try to add in some Whole Wheat flour. I will probably do half white half wheat to please my kids along with myself!

Let me know what you think of this Delicious vegan meal.

OX Sherice

No comments: